A Teacher Mentor is responsible for assisting teachers employed at partnering early childhood programs in implementing and sustaining high-quality practices within the preschool and/or Pre-K classrooms. The Teacher Mentor provides coaching, consultation, and professional development to both classroom teachers and program administrators for the purposes of continuous quality improvement of program practices. Available position is part-time from August through May, Hourly rate ranges from $30.00-$32.00. Benefits include mileage reimbursement and employer contribution to a Simple IRA upon eligibility.
- BA in early education or related field required. Master degree preferable.
- Three or more years relevant job experience in early childhood education, such as a pre-kindergarten or kindergarten classroom.
- Experience coaching adults in sustainable quality improvement practices.
- Knowledge of Preschool Quality Assessment-Revised instrument.
- Knowledge of Creative Curriculum® and/or HighScope® Curriculum, and corresponding child assessment tools, or desire to learn.
- Ability to guide the professional development of early childhood educators.
- Knowledge of and experience in working with adult learners.
- Proven experience in working with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to work independently, coordinate and schedule workload, make coaching decisions as appropriate, and handle a variety of tasks and deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Valid Michigan driver’s license and reliable, insured vehicle. Must provide proof of both.
- Willingness to drive throughout Kalamazoo County.
- Assesses skills and needs of teachers (both initially and ongoing) for the purpose of ensuring appropriate assistance and strategies for identified mentoring activities.
- Assists classroom teachers in identifying classroom and individual child growth and development plans based on program and child assessment data.
- Builds relationships with teachers for the purpose of establishing an environment of trust and collaboration.
- Coaches and assists teachers with curriculum implementation, teaching strategies, lesson planning, authentic child assessment, data analysis, and classroom management for the purpose of improving instruction.
- Coaches and assists teachers in communicating effectively with parents.
- Collaborates with representatives of Kalamazoo County Ready 4s and pre-K partners for the purpose of sharing ideas and approaches, identifying professional development needs, and planning and coordinating professional development opportunities that support high-quality learning environments.
- Models professionalism at all times for the purpose of demonstrating expected behaviors and actions of exemplary teachers.
- Participates in meetings, workshops, trainings, and seminars for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform job functions.
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of Kalamazoo County Ready 4s.
Interested candidates must respond to Therese Armstead, KC Ready 4s Assistant Director, at email@example.com by Friday, July 5th. A complete candidate application should include:
- A resume and letter of interest in the part-time position, including relevant experience and references.
- Photographic evidence of meeting the minimal qualifications, i.e., copies of diplomas, educational transcripts, certifications and licensure.
- Two to three current letters of reference.